Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pistachio Cookies

These cookies are my second green dessert recipe that I made to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! They are super easy to make and require very few ingredients. The end result is a soft, melt-in-your-mouth cookie that is packed with unique pistachio flavour from both the pudding mix and the crunchy chopped pistachio nuts sprinkled on top!

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 pkg. Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix (4 serving size)
1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
4 Tbsp. chocolate chips
3-4 Tbsp. shelled pistachio nuts, finely chopped


Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and pudding mixture with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in the flour, adding about 1/4 cup at a time. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Form dough into balls and place on cookie sheets. Gently flatten the balls with your palm - these will not spread very much while baking so however much you flatten them is what the baked cookie will turn out like. Sprinkle the finely chopped pistachios on top of each cookie, and gently press them into the dough so they stick on.

Bake cookies for 11-13 minutes, until the bottoms are light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.


*Recipe adapted from Adventures of a Blonde Baker

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. About 12-18 depending on the size you make them.

      Delete
  2. arghhhhh we dont have pistachio pudding mix in the UK.............. and i lurvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve pistachio :(((((( x they looks so delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies have nothing to hold them together, the broke apart when I removed them from the cookie sheet. Did you miss an ingredient, like egg? I now have pistachio crumbs instead of cookies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      These cookies are like a traditional shortbread cookie so they do not contain an egg. The texture will be more dry and crumbly than something like a chocolate chip cookie so they are more fragile. But they have that lovely "melt-in-your-mouth" texture of shortbread. The cornstarch in the pudding mix acts as the small bit of binding agent. If you find your dough is very very crumbly you can try adding in a tiny bit of milk just to help it come together, but I find that if I whip the butter for a long time and then use my hands to mold the cookie dough into balls it softens enough and isn't super crumbly.
      I hope this helps clear up the recipe and I hope you do try them again - they are super delicious!
      As for the batch of pistachio crumbs you have now - you could crumble them on top of some vanilla or chocolate ice cream for a yummy dessert! :)

      Delete
  4. This is an older recipe that I just found. I make baked goods for my family, My daughter cannot tolerate regular flour, can I use somethings in place of flour to give the same results?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try them; I'm retired after 40 yrs of double shifts so am lost with "nothing to do". I bake now for the local firemen, pharmacy workers, nursing homes; just anybody that will take them. Hope they like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made them today according to your instructions and they turned out great. I portioned them with a tablespoon, and flattened them with a fork, which I occasionally dipped in icing sugar to prevent them from sticking to the fork. Thank you for sharing the recipe; it’s a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these again today, they are one of my favorite cookies. They truly do melt in your mouth. I'm going to try to make them with different pudding mixes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and I live in a seniors building so made some at Christmas and shaped them like a teardrop and decorated them as a scrooge face.

    ReplyDelete