Monday, November 22, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Loaf

This recipe holds a special importance for me because it was one of the first things I baked completely on my own and shared with my friends. After tasting it and getting such a positive reaction from my friends, that was it - I was hooked on baking! This loaf is simple but full of comforting flavours like apple and cinnamon. It might not spark up a new passion like it did for me, but I hope eating and sharing it will bring you just as much joy.

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup applesauce
1/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs
3 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract



Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl combine the applesauce, oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until just combined. Do not over mix the batter or it will result in a very tough, rubbery loaf.

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Mix together ¼ cup brown sugar and ½ tsp of cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of the batter. Bake for 1 hour. Let cool on a wire rack and then remove the loaf from the pan. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment